Thursday, April 28, 2011

On Advocating for Children and Compassionate Parenting

It's all about LEARNING this week.  For me, anyway. 

I am really seeking a way out of the confusion I feel about wanting to advocate for compassionate parenting in spite of my utter aversion to mainstream parents and kids.

I've been talking to The Organic Sister about it (Tara is my Life Coach).
I've been reading about adout advocacy on other mother-blogs.  (And do visit Kat at Loving {Almost} Every Moment.  She's Canadian!)
I've been re-reading the books that challenged me to get authentic in the first place:  Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort and Non-Violent Communication by Marshall Rosenberg.
I've been thinking about my prior involvement with La Leche League and my reasons for wanting to get back into being a Leader.

And then I found this on the Mothering website:

...your intolerance is typical in the early phases of learning. As you become more rooted in yourself, it would be easier to be at peace with the way other parents are and be nurturing rather than judgmental. You already recognize their innocence. Now it is time for you to realize your own innocence in judging them in your mind. In the moment your mind judges them, you are doing to them (in your mind) the same thing they do to their children (innocently.) Eventually, you will learn to use your parenting skills in relating to these well intentioned parents.

Peace comes when you live only your own life, and work on your own inner peace with however the world is. You may still choose to stay away from certain families for your child’s sake, but with no ill feelings.

The more open your loving heart is and the more you use your parenting skills in relating to other parents, the more they are likely to want what you have to offer and learn. Most, however, won’t follow your path; just like children, they follow their own.


These are the words of Naomi Aldort who has already been such an important mentor in my life.  And this advice goes exactly with I talked to Tara about last week.

Such wonder!  It's all coming together and I feel like great things are about to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment